Saturday, March 19, 2011

Read, Pray, Sing

Bedtime routines are just that, aren't they? Routine. There isn't anything out of the ordinary with them. It's the same thing most nights. It's funny when you get out of the routine for one or two nights-I feel a bit out of sorts. Like tonight because we were watching basketball we didn't have time for any of our routine, but that's just the way it is. Here's what our routine is:

First, jammies. Easy step. But then there's the bathroom stop that has to go along with that-not always so easy.

Next, brush teeth. A & C do pretty well with this on their own, but still need help with those back teeth, just to make sure.
After that we read stories. Usually they get to pick out 1 or 2 stories each, depending on how late it is. We used to read these together in their room on their green chair, but then when they got their own rooms we started alternating rooms and reading on the floor-not so comfortable. So now we've shifted to the couch, which is a good place because we all fit!

After stories we pray. We pray about good things that happened during the day. We pray about things we might be able to work on tomorrow. We also pray about people that need uplifting prayers. The prayer always ends the same..."God bless Mommy & Daddy, all the Mammas and Papas and all of our friends. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen."

Then we sing. The first song we sing is a song J and I made up when the kids were babies. I can't even remember when we first started singing it (that's because I can't remember much from when they were under 6 months!). It is a goodnight song with A & C's names in it and we sing about how much we love them and that it's time to go to sleep. Then we sing "Jesus Loves Me." We've been singing those two songs every night since they were babies!

That's what our bedtime routine is like with the kids. I'm wondering how long it will continue to be like this. Will they want it to be like this as they get older? Maybe. I remember as a kid the exchange I had with my dad every single night:

Dad: Goodnight, K.
Me: Goodnight, Dad.
Dad: Love you!
Me: Love you, too!
Dad: Sleep tight!
Me: K
Dad: See you in the morning!
Me: K

That was it. It was our routine every night, after I had been told a made-up story that always involved me being in it in some way. I know the stories stopped at some point, but I can't remember when. The back and forth happened every night I was at home, up until I was married, I think!

The bedtime routine can be looked at as "just routine," but it is one of my favorite times of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment