Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thankful for Relationships

So I just got home from a Moms of Multiples meeting. Moms of Multiples is a group I've belonged to since I found out I was pregnant with twins. Anyway, this month's meeting included a speaker. Many months have a speaker, and usually I look to see what the speaker is about. Tonight I didn't look...it was about women and relationships with your in-laws (mostly the mother-in-law).
After being there for about 10 minutes and hearing what the speaker had to say, I wondered to myself, "Why am I even here?" The reason being, I wasn't identifying with anything the woman had to say. You see, I was fortunate enough to marry into a family that respects me as a daughter-in-law (DIL), and hopefully I do the same in being the DIL. For example, reasons why your relationship might not be positive with your mother-in-law (MIL): "Your MIL doesn't accept you as a part of the family" or "Your MIL and the rest of their family doesn't accept you for who you are." There were many other things this speaker discussed, but I was only half paying attention to what she was saying, but more paying attention to the amount of heads that were shaking up and down like, "Yes! We completely hear what you're saying!" What?! Really? Your MIL is like this?
I mean I knew I was lucky to have married into J's family. I have never felt like I didn't belong as a part of their family. From the first day of meeting J's mom (when I was 15), she welcomed me into their home without question. Now I know she didn't know I would end up marrying her son, but... There has never been a day when I didn't feel included. After being at this meeting I know I am more than lucky and blessed to have the in-laws I have!
Tonight, I am thankful for relationships with my in-laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment