Saturday, January 9, 2010

It's not all roses...

...being a parent. People tend to forget to tell you that as you anticipate the excitement of having a new baby (or babies in our case). I have to say, we have had it relatively easy so far. Now remember, I'm not including the first, oh, say, 6 months of A & C's lives because I can't remember them. Complete fog. Good thing there are pictures! But seriously speaking, our kids have been really good kids and were good babies, too.
However, there was a 24 hour period from Thursday around 7pm until about last night (Friday) at 8pm. Everything from a screaming child (thanks, C) to a sick child, to a child that doesn't want Mommy to sing to her, to not even wanting to say goodnight to Mommy, to Mommy having tears, to just being emotional, to having 3 1/2 year old twins...it was a lot to handle!
I said to J last night after the kids fell asleep that it, to my recollection, was probably the hardest 24 hours I had had with the kids...and I even worked all day yesterday! Whoever said 2's were terrible clearly hadn't been to where their kids were 3 years old. Let me tell you...all of you that have kids younger than 3, watch out! I know all kids are different, but having 2 kids at the same age, both being 3 together, UGH! Hard.
Things have since been better. Today I had a snuggly little girl who wanted to play with me, sing with me, and love me, which made Mommy happy. It reminds me that 3 1/2 year olds, no matter how mature and knowledgable they may be, are NOT rational! I will be sure to bring myself back to this post, over and over again, and read it so I can remember that!
And to myself...remember that A & C love you no matter what and you love them no matter what. They always will! A little self-talk never hurt anyone, right? Right!

2 comments:

  1. We refer to them as the terrorist threes because it really feels like they're trying to break you! I hear 4 is pretty decent and we're already 1/2 way through 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great name for it! I'm glad it isn't just us. This too shall pass...I can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete