Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One of those days (or two days)

Have you ever had one of those days with your kids? I mean the kind of day where you're not sure who got up on the wrong side of the bed-you or them? Yup. We had that kind of day. Today and yesterday. Not fun. Yesterday morning A said to J, "Daddy, this is not a good day." Even she knew it. The two kids were arguing about EVERYTHING. Who got to sit where. Who got their food first. Who got to go to the right on the sidewalk instead of the other way (where there was WAY more room). Who got to go on the "high" swing (that's only about 2 inches higher than the other). Who got to use the bowl of beads for a project. Who got to pick up the beads after they fell on the ground. You get it, right?

It seems our kids have hit that point in the summer where they need a bit more structure other than, "Go play!" The last two days they have wondered around the yard and the house like lost puppies. They hang over our shoulders, wondering what we are doing, even though we've told them 5 times. One would think that after having a birthday they would want to play with all of their new toys. They do want to, and have, don't get me wrong, but they last about 5 minutes with each new thing. I'm beginning to think we need to have just a few new things out. Maybe that would help the aimless wandering.

So to all you parents out there who can hardly wait for school to start again, I hear you! I hear you loud and clear! I was at that point and even said to J, "Ok, school can start for THEM. Not for us, just for them." I know this will pass and I'll be thankful (hopefully tomorrow) that we're home with the kids and get more time to spend with them. In fact just tonight I was feeling better about things. We took a family bike ride around the block and the kids were all smiles. No complaining, whining or negative things said. I know this will carry over to tomorrow...positive thinking makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment