Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas, part 1

Merry Christmas! Eve, I guess...but Merry Christmas anyway! Today was already a very full day with lots of fun and family. I love Christmas Eve best of all. I think it's because I have such great memories as a kid. I remember being at my Great Aunt and Uncle's house with all of my dad's cousins and my second cousins. Santa always came-of whom I was afraid of! We sang, played the piano, played games and opened presents that Santa brought. It was great. As I got older I remember going to Midnight Mass or a candlelight service. We would come home and it started out that I got to open one present with Mom and Dad. I seem to remember that changing to opening all of the presents before going to bed. There were some late nights! Always fun, though.
This year the kids seem to get it. J said it this morning and today in the car...it's not that they didn't have fun last year, but this year is just that much better because they really understand how things work. They keep reminding us: "Mommy, remember Christmas is about Jesus and giving. Even though we get presents too, that's not the most important part." Thank you honey; I will remember that.

Today we started off by going to church. I love our family services because the kids get to participate. They can choose to be an angel, a star, a shepherd or a wise man. This year C chose to be a star and my, did he hold it up high for everyone to see!
 A chose to be an angel and was proud to be one, too! No matter the part they choose, everyone gets a prop to use and then as the pastor tells the story of Christmas, each child goes up when they are asked. Here's what it looked like when all of the kids were up front!
After church it was off to the first stop which was my aunt and uncle's house. Mark and Patti always host a great Christmas Eve. As always there was food to eat and presents to open. Mom and Dad were there, too...after Dad worked a full day. Notice the Grinch tie he's wearing; he plays it up, but he's not really a Grinch!
It was fun to see family who we don't see except for this time of year. After eating, playing, saying hello to everyone and gathering up my cookies for home (thanks, John and Mary!), then it was off to our second stop!
Mamma Sue and Big Papa hosted Christmas Eve. We were lucky this year, too, because J's brother Jake and his family was here too. So that meant that Cousin Liam was here for the kids to play with this whole week.
The kids have had a ball together and tonight was no different. We opened presents shortly after we got there and let's just say I'm not sure where everything is going to go! They got great things that they were excited to open and play with right away. That's always a good sign. J and I got great gifts too...thanks everyone! We ate again-I hope my pants fit tomorrow! The kids lasted longer than I expected and then we were off to home to crash. A was determined to stay awake, which she did, but C fell asleep even before the freeway.

We missed one part of J's family-Dan, Denise and new Baby Aaron had to stay home tonight. Aaron (3 days old!) has to be under the lights for the next while until his bilirubin numbers come down. Poor guy. We're praying that he's better soon!

We were blessed to see so many people tonight. We are thankful for the birth of His son, and are reminded of that daily. "And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment