Thursday, November 17, 2011

Who wants to pray tonight?

Praying is a regular occurrence around here. We pray at meals and we pray before bed. I pray (and I'm sure J does too) at other times throughout the day, but as a family, those are the "standard" prayer times around these parts. Usually J or I lead the prayer before bedtime. There is a bit of a pattern to it-starting out the same and ending the same: "God bless Mommy and Daddy, all the Mammas and Papas and all of our friends (meaning friends and family). Amen." The kids chime in on that part. We haven't ever asked them to lead it. I'm not sure why, it just hasn't happened.

Tonight we had conferences so my mom came to watch the kids. Whenever they're with the Mammas and the Papas, they always ask A & C who wants to lead the prayer. My mom says that usually it is C who volunteers, and tonight was no different. She said he started out with "Dear Jesus..." and proceeded to pray about a list of things. At the end he said, "And thank you for a nice Mamma who came to play with us and take us out to dinner. Thank you for the sweet dreams we will have."

Really? My little honey of a boy said those things? He is the sensitive one of the family. I have to admit, I did have some tears welling up in my eyes as my mom told me about it. I'm so proud of him. I love that there are things we have taught him that he takes to heart. The other thing I'm proud of is the fact that he can pray. At age 5, he can pray. I didn't know how to pray at 5 years old. Or at least I don't remember. I think it's one of those things I always wished I "knew how to do," if you will, and didn't really know until I was an adult. The innocence of kids doing it, especially my own kid...is special. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment