Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father, Daddy, the "it" guy around here

Today is Father's Day. Hooray for dads (or fathers, papas, or whatever you call your dad) everywhere! Yesterday C was telling J, "Daddy, since tomorrow is called Father's Day, I'm going to call you 'Father' for the whole day." Too cute...didn't happen. Our little boy couldn't veer from the norm-Daddy it was!
If you know J, which some of you do, you know the following things about him:
1. He always puts others first. Always.
2. He is the loving type.
3. He wants what's best for his kids (and me too).
4. He makes all of us laugh, a lot.
5. He never expects anything or anyone to be perfect.
6. He...well, I suppose I'll stop here for lack of continuing to go on writing long into the night.

Needless to say, he's a pretty sweet dad. He's a pretty sweet husband, too, but that post comes another time. As for the dad part, he's got it down. It all started (you didn't know you were in for story time, did you?!) when I was pregnant. That's when he really took over the grocery shopping and cooking for the 2 of us. Small things, really, but I knew this was a sign of what was to come when the kids were born. He's never been one to shy away from what kids bring to life...always ready to play, always ready to wrestle, always up for a game, always ready to teach, always, always, always. Do you get it?
He's the kind of dad who, upon the kids getting off the bus this year, loved every minute of walking the kids home from the bus stop. He told me numerous times how that was his favorite time of day. He and A would usually walk hand in hand while C tried to balance on the curb, the two of them talking about their day with him.

He's the kind of dad who cannot turn down a chance to go on a bike ride with the kids. He takes them around the block and neighborhood, hoping that the training will allow us to ride around the lake soon enough.

He's the kind of dad who loves reading and snuggling with the kids. He reads with voices they love which, consequently, leads to stories repeating themselves over and over in our house as the weeks go by. How I Became a Pirate is a favorite of A & C and whenever I try to read it, I struggle to make the pirate voice just right. Arrgh!

He's the kind of dad who just cannot get enough of his kids. He's never the one "babysitting" or "watching" the kids. He's never the one to come home from work and "just need a half hour to unwind with the TV or the computer." He's the one organizing a soccer game or baseball game in the backyard or playing hide and seek at the park.

He's amazing.
See, there's this old saying that you usually marry someone who is just like your dad. When I think of my dad, I remember him playing with me, teaching me, reading to me, making up stories before bed, having ice cream with me...just spending time with me. Funny...that's what I see happening around these parts. Thanks, dad, for giving me a glimpse into my future. Didn't know that's what it was, but I'm  glad it was!

How does that make me feel? Blessed. Like He knew what He was doing when He put J in my life. I thank God every day for putting J here to be a daddy to our kids. Because without him here there would be no pirate, no wrestling, no "yah" Kung-Fu style, no walking home with the kids from the bus. Blessed. It's what I am. It's what we are to have a daddy like that. Happy Daddy's Day, J!

No comments:

Post a Comment