Wednesday, January 4, 2012

An Interesting Debate

To work or not to work, that is the question. Well, or an option, I guess, for some. For some. Not for me. I'm not sure how I would feel about the option if it were presented to me. I always joke with my co-workers about how great it would be to win the lottery and not have to work. Or would it? It's an interesting debate.

As I was scrolling through my Facebook feed yesterday I came across a "friend," who's more of an acquaintance, who posted about a story she had seen on "The Today Show." The jest of the story is that, according to a recent study, working moms are happier than stay-at-home moms. Boom. Fireworks went off on this post-but in a good I-agree-with-what-you're-saying way for her. Huh. Soooo, you're telling me that because I work, there's absolutely no way I'm as happy as you, the person who posted this, because you stay home with your kid? What happened to being non-judgmental? This coming from a person who is a devout Christian. Here's what I think:

I think people can be happy with whatever they are doing, wherever they are doing it, and it doesn't have to be one way or another. It's whatever works for that person in that time and place. No, I'm not just saying that to say it. I'm saying it because it's what I believe. See, I love what I do. Teaching is a wonderful thing to be able to do every day. That said, of course it's not all roses every day. There are challenges, but those challenges are what keeps me going. Because of my schedule, I am able to be home late afternoon, I can have dinner with my family, I can play games with my kids, I can read with my kids, I can be outside with my family and I can still have some time for J and I to be together. And you know what "they" say...teachers also get their summers off! Yea! Wrong. I have never had a summer off, although there is much flexibility with schedules. And that sometimes opens another can of worms, but that's a different post. I digress. 

It took everything from within me NOT to post something to this "friend's" page. I chose not to and will continue not to, but it did get me thinking. Clearly. I think moms who stay at home have a hard job. I think moms who work have a hard job. Isn't it just hard being a mom (sometimes)? I don't think there is a final answer. I don't think there has to be. People will always have something to say about either side. My side? The side that makes me happy and works for my family. That's the viewpoint I'll take, any day!

1 comment:

  1. Facebook is interesting that way, in which we get to see and read things about our friends and acquaintances that we never would have, in the real world. I couldn't agree with you more. It's very individual, whether or not a person is "happy" with their lives. Not every stay at home mom is happy, and not every working mom is. I've been both, and neither one was 100% perfect.

    ReplyDelete