Monday, May 21, 2012

First Sleepover

We did it. I'm not sure that it's a good or a bad thing, but we did it. Yes, our kids are only 5 and are in kindergarten, but it was for a birthday party. Not a good reason? Hmmm...well, there were about 7 or 8 other boys that were going to be there too. Still not a good enough reason. Hmmm...ok, um, we've known the family for almost 2 years. Yup. Not sure that's a good enough reason either.

C had his first sleepover on Friday. Even though J and I had said the kids wouldn't have their first sleepover until they were at least in spring of first grade. I guess we didn't hold out. It was a tough decision. Trust us. And he will not have another sleepover for another 3 or 4 years. Seriously. I'm not even joking when I say that. The weekend was enough to scare us straight.

The sleepover was an interesting one. You know, there were the normal things...wrestling, dancing, more wrestling, games, pizza, cake, wrestling again, Spiderman 2...wait, WHAT? What was the name of the movie? Spiderman 2? You mean the one that's rated PG-13? For 5 & 6 year olds? Sooo not prepared for that one. Oh, and did I mention that the movie started at 10:30? Yes, STARTED at 10:30. And what time did they go to bed? C said he looked at the clock at 12:30 the last time. Needless to say, he was a bit cranky, ornery, salty...can you come up with any more synonyms for not happy? It was an interesting timeline, if you ask me, for a group of kindergarteners. I guess I need to ask what is planned the next time he goes to a sleepover...when he's 9!

As a parent you hope you're making the right decisions. As a parent, you're sure you're doing the right things for your child along the way. As a parent, you also realize you can't always make the right decisions all of the time. As hard as we may try. As hard as I may try, I'm not always going to be able to be with the kids all of the time. I know this sleepover was a baby step. The moms there looked at me like I was a little crazy for being worried about leaving C. He wasn't worried about me leaving. I was. I also know it won't be the last time I'll be worried. Even when he's old and grown, I'll worry. For now, he'll play the boy things he plays, he'll watch Curious George and he'll snuggle me because it's one of his favorite things to do. And I'll hold on to all of those 5 year old things with all I've got.

2 comments:

  1. I think we may be kindred spirits. Sleep overs are a tricky terrain. Hold him and hug him and watch more Curious George -- just to clear his mind from SpiderMan2!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday parties and sleepovers! Rites of passage for both you and your son! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete